Universities in Maharashtra
Though Maharashtra is major hub of business, the state is also known for educational excellence. There are several universities in Maharashtra, which provide quality education to the people of the state. There are also numbers of educational and research institutions of world repute in this Maharashtra state. Maharashtra is the third largest state In India, with Mumbai (Bombay) as the capital of Maharashtra state government.
Good Universities set the basis of a healthy society by contributing space for higher education and research. The Universities in Maharashtra are helping the students to do quality higher education as it gives a peaceful academic environment.
As students from different parts of the country and also from abroad come to study in the Universities of Maharashtra, students and scholars widen a better understanding of the variety of the country. The multi cultural zeal along with the qualified professors of the Maharashtra universities is not only creating quality research paper but informed citizens and thus helping the country to develop.
The University Grants Commission (UGC) 2002-03 estimates states that there are 12, 58,195 enrollments in various Universities and Colleges in the region, out of which 5, 15,868 (41.00%) are women students.
According to constitution of India, the Governor Shri.S M Krishna is the Chancellor of all the Universities in Maharashtra and in that capacity he has a direct responsibility as regards the proper management and administration of the Universities. Though as Governor he functions with the help and advice of the Council of Ministers, as Chancellor he acts independently of the Council of Ministers and takes his own decisions on all University matters. In the matter of appointment of the Vice-Chancellors, though it is not obligatory on the part of the Chancellor to consult the State Government, it has been the practice to consult the Chief Minister before the appointment is made. The Governor as Chancellor plays a very constructive role in the administration of the Universities.
Universities in Maharashtra
- Amravati University, Amravati, Maharashtra
- Bharati Vidyapeeth's Insitute of Management Kolhapur, Maharashtra
- Datta Meghe Institute Of Medical Sciences Nyss Management Campus, Pratap Nagar, Nagpur
- Dr. Babasaheb Ambedkar Marathwada University, Aurangabad Maharashtra
- Dr. Babasaheb Ambedkar Technological University, Dist. Raigad Maharashtra
- Dr. Balasaheb Sawant Konkan Krishi Vidypeeth, Dapoli, Dist. Ratnagiri Maharashtra
- Dr. Panjabrao Deshmukh Krishi Vidyapeeth, Krishi Nagar Akola Maharashtra
- D.Y.Patil Education Society (Deemed University) Kolhapur, Maharashtra
- Kavikulguru Kalidas Sanskrit Vishwavidyalaya, Ramtek Maharashtra
- Krishna Institute of Medical Sciences Deemed University, Karad. Maharashtra
- Maharashtra Animal & Fishery Sciences University, Seminary Hills Nagpur Maharashtra
- Maharashtra University of Health Sciences Mhasrul, Dindori Road Nashik Maharashtra
- Mahtama Gandhi Antarrashtriya Hindi Vishwavidyalaya, Wardha, Maharashtra
- Mahatma Phule Krishi Vidyapeeth, Rahuri, Distt. Ahmednagar Maharashtra
- Marathwada Agricultural University, Parbhani Maharashtra
- North Maharashtra University, Umavi Nagar Maharashtra
- Pravara Institute of Medical Sciences (Deemed University) Loni, Maharashtra
- Rashtrasant Tukadoji Maharaj Nagpur University, Nagpur, Maharashtra
- Shivaji University Vidyanagar, Kolhapur, Maharashtra
- Solapur University Pune National Highway, Solapur, Maharashtra
- Swami Ramanand Teerth Marathwada University, Vishnupuri, Maharashtra
- Visvesvaraya National Institute of Technology (Deemed University) Nagpur, Maharashtra
- Yashwantrao Chavan Maharashtra Open University Dnyangangotri, Nashik Maharashtra